Chocolate Peppermint Roll
For peppermint buttercream frosting:
- 12 tbs unsalted butter
- 5 tbs heavy cream
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped Peppermint Andes
For chocolate pouring sauce:
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- 4 tbs powdered sugar, sifted
- 4-5 tbs water, warm
- 5 tbs unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup sifted cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- pinch of baking soda
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa, and baking soda together. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Skim off white foam and pour clear yellow butter into a bowl, discarding white liquid at bottom. Set aside.
4. In heat-proof bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Set bowl over simmering water and stir until mixture is warm to touch and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Beat on high speed until mixture is thick and pale (and tripled in bulk). Reduce speed to medium. Add vanilla and beat 2-3 minutes more.
5. In three additions, add flour mixture to egg mixture, folding in gently. While folding in last addition, add in melted butter.
6. Spread batter evenly in pan, leaving behind any unincorporated butter. Tap pan on counter to remove air bubbles.
7. Bake until cake springs back when touched in center (about 15-20 minutes). Don’t overbake or cake will crack. Let cool.
8. Place all frosting ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.
9. Place chocolate and heavy cream for sauce in bowl over simmering water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add water 1 tbs at a time, mixing until pouring consistency is reached. Set aside and let cool to warm.
10. Dust surface of cake with cocoa powder.
11. Spread frosting to a 1/4 inch thickness. Roll cake. (Trim ends for clean finish)
12. Pour chocolate on top and finish with Andes shavings.
Shit, this looks good.